So What's The Plan
Great News...the Amazon Outreach board has unanimously decided to resume mission trips on December 26!
"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind" (2 Timothy 1:7 NKJV).
A "sound mind" certainly requires us to take COVID-19 seriously, but we have a team with a strong calling to go, a Brazilian church partner wanting us to come, and villages desperate for the hope of the Gospel...so we're going!
Some of our Brazilian partner missionaries recently told us of the overwhelming appreciation the villages have expressed since they've resumed trips. "It's like when they see the boat, they are seeing 'Love' and 'Hope' arrive!" (Claudia). "One woman held me and just cried while thanking us for coming. They were under great anxiety and thought they had been forgotten" (Deja).
We also based our decision to go on the facts. The U.S. population is 327 million and Brazil’s is 212 million. This means over the last 10 months...
- Just over 2% of the U.S. and Brazil populations have been infected (US 7million cases with 327 million people / BR 5.6 million cases with 212 million people)
- 3% of the 2% have been fatal cases which is.0006 of each country (US 200K deaths of 327 million people and BR 138k deaths of 5.6 million people)
- One CDC study showed 89.3% of fatalities were linked to existing underlying health issues with hypertension and obesity being the leading conditions, USA Today / Coronavirus Underlying Conditions
- Even with increased testing and the reopening of schools in the U.S., new daily cases are averaging half of what they were in late July, Covid Tracking / Data/ Charts / US
- The unexpected and steady decline COVID-19 in Amazonas Brazil even has scientists rethinking herd immunity, Washington Post / Manaus/ Herd Immunity
To not go felt more like fear than faith. Three AO board members will personally be on the December trip to get us ready for 2021.We are so excited to get back to the river and look forward to sharing all the Lord does. Thank you for your prayers and financial support.
Thankfully our Hope is not confined by our circumstances. And we know that God’s hand is on the mission because of His heart for The Forgotten People of the Amazon.